Wednesday, April 17, 2013

You Have To Make Choices








The path I walked divided many times and I had to choose among different directions. Some of the choices I made for myself and others were made for me.

Evidently Frau Lange,my teacher,noticed some potential in me and she suggested that I take an entrance test for accelerated education paths.At that time in Germany you had three paths depending on test results and money.The least expensive was middle school,next high school and the fastest and highest Gymnasium.The gymnasium route was a sure way for the University path.At each level you could evidently take test to advance faster and if you had the recommendations and money,enter the University path.
The other paths were to go through 8th grade and then to trade schools,apprenticeships,common labor or work on your family farm or family business.

Dad was working and Mom was taking care of baby sister Gudrun so I had to go by myself to the big city and take the test. Needed to buy tickets for the train ride,find the place,take the tests and come home.When I got to the place and saw all those boys and girls with their mothers,I became somewhat proud of myself. I came by myself and no one held my hand.That independent streak got me into tight situations in future years and I think I realize most of the time that having somebody in your corner helps a lot.At least it does make life a little easier.
The score must have been good enough to advance.I don't remember if my folks had to pay anything or because I was a war refuge(Fluechtling,Displaced Person) the German government stepped up to the plate.Maybe I should not complain that the German Reichsbank kept my childhood money,for now I was getting my education for free.Maybe somebody in Germany will tell me I am wrong having this impression. I wonder were I got some of my Republican view points and get skeptical when todays politicians tell me my Social Security Check is welfare or a gift of kindness.

The 5th grade in the big city was an adventure.I was behind in the language skills.My math and teacher's patients kept me going for a lot of red was always on my written papers.I walked the two miles everyday to the train station in a village named Lenglern.The train was pulled by a steam engine.The school was located in the city of Goettingen about 10 miles away.The cheap seats of third class was what I could afford.If I wandered to the higher priced location the conductors reminded me were I belonged.The train steamed through meadows and woods and farm fields for 30 minutes and pulled into the big train station(Bahnhoff) with four major tracks.

I was exposed to a new world of learning and curiosity and good teachers.Besides the books,I got into painting, crafting,(no star making for that was a family affair),field trips,the English game of cricket,field handball and track events. The soccer sport was a village affair and not in my school.I was too young (11y) to be a member on a team.Only the very big boys and adults got to play on the Harste village team.
Since horses were used for plowing and pulling wagons and carriages,riding horses was a novelty to me.Dad had been a Polish cavalry soldier with a long saber when he was 21yrs old and that was romantic.Exposure to riding horses was limited to the ones in books(pictures of Prussian calvary charges,Roman cavalry charging into the pesky Germans) and plow horses.
My folks told me that I fell off a plow horse once and hid my head...now that could explain somethings.
However on the way to school in the big city, I did get to see equestrian riders and a jumping arena. Now the horse world in my family is another story for the future.
I nearly left this out and now I believe it is very important. Those flowers that were winking at me were picked and little bunches were put together and brought with me and peddled on the train and at the market place.However you needed permits, for even then the government was squeezing every penny out of us little people.That reminds me,I need to have a heart to heart talk with Uncle Sam about this,for April 15 is coming up shortly. Well...I did elude the eagle eyes and never got permits for I was always on the move looking for well dressed ladies.Blumen Bitte...Blumen aus dem Wald...Mai Gloeckchen zum verkaufen.
Believe or not ,later in life I was a salesman from 1968 on and was mentored by my Father-in-Law,Warren O. Kjeldsen, until he died many years ago...that could be another story.

It was also during fifth grade that I started with confirmation instruction with the local pastor.All kids from the village that were Lutherans were expected to be instructed in the small and large catechism written by Martin Luther.My brother Art went through this tradition in 1950-51.Confirmation ceremonies were alway after Easter.We were expected to be at church every Sunday.Well ,I ran into trouble with the pastor.The instructions were held once a week after school hours.At that time I was attending school in Goettingen and not  the local school.The pastor wanted to distribute a Church bulletin after our instruction period.The other kids in the class were only girls and the boy was expected to do the work. I protested the division of work.I indicated to the pastor I would do my end of the village but the girls can do the area they lived in. I had homework to do and could not  or would not take the extra time for the distribution.The pastor did not like my view and got upset with me for challenging his instructions.I did not back down.So, I was send home and could not return to the class unless I had a change of attitude.I ran home and told my Mother what had happened. I was in tears and unhappy about the injustice of the situation. I told my Mom I wouldn't go back to this confirmation class. Never! My Mother was in a dilemma for religious instructions were important to her and she saw my side of the situation too.The idea that a child of hers would not be confirmed in the future was not acceptable to her either.She dried my tears and calmly said ," we shall see about this later".
I never did go back to that class for the folks had made the choice to immigrate and we would leave the village in the near future anyway.
Confirmation was still in my future but it would be in Texas in 1953 and in English.That is another story.


No comments:

Post a Comment