Friday, April 12, 2013

A brother sleeps in Poland


My brother Armwin:
In far away Poland in the town of Radziejow(Redichau) on a rising hill site my brother Armwin Kolewe was laid to rest in the year of our Lord 1944.He died on February 28 1944,from complications( diphtheria).I might have gone the same way but my system was evidently stronger and I survived and conquered the bugs as did my other two brothers...Diet(l0- months),Art(8yplus). I have pictures of all four of us full of smiles and one a formal one without smiles.I also have one of him laid out in the casket and Mother with a sad face looking down on him.As the story goes, in the last moments of his life he reached out to Mom and with words like" I hear or see angels" turned his face and was gone forever.The grave site I am told has vanished thru the years since I last saw it in 1946 only the hill site as you enter the gate to the cemetery.
Armwin was born on June 6,1940 so we were only 12 months apart...nearly twins. We were close and he was a constant companion of mine.He was also cuddled more in my opinion.I remember a thunder storm and he went to the parent's bed to get comfort and when I went to join him I was told that I was a big boy and need not to do that.I think I resented that and looked at him with squinted eyes.In an incident were a small broom handle fell on him or maybe I even hit him and he cried and ran to Mom...I felt you deserved that.When he died I think I felt guilty for a terrible feeling of that I wished him dead seemed to come from nowhere to my mind.In later years when I read my daughter's Abnormal Behavior Book I find that this does occur in sibling rivalry.Another incident occurred the year before when we went playing in a neighbor's Hoff(farm).The chained watch dog was not happy having two kids running around and he was chained to his dog house.Well...he broke the chain,bowled Armwin over and bit me on thigh and not him.I still have a small scar. Good thing that the dog did not have rabies.
If I ever visit Poland again, my destination will be that hill site to bring back a handful of dirt and sprinkle it over our Parent's gravesite in Belvidere.

No comments:

Post a Comment