Saturday, April 13, 2013

My Three Grandmothers



My Three Omas


I did get to know my Mother’s Mother,Oma Auguste Hedwig Zarske
Redschlag,but did not see her again after we left for America in April of 1952.Her Father was Johann Zarske and Mother Ottilie Laske. Oma Auguste was born on March 25,189O.I don’t remember much about her as far as the songs she liked to sing or if she read the Bible. She did give me a taste of the sugar beet vodka they made in Harste. She had a stroke in her early 60s that withered her right hand.She had enough to do in raising a teen aged daughter,Gertrude,and two very active young men, my Uncles Erich and Erwin. Their interests were music( singing,accordion playing,motorcycles and girls.That could be another story to tell for they did try to impress me with their adventures.

My father’s Mother,Oma Katarina Krebs Kolewe, saw me last in 1944.I have no picture of her in my mind only from pictures retrieved from the snow in 1945 and others send to our family in later years.She was born on 3-11-1876 in the same village my Father August was born.Her Father was Johann Krebs and Mother was Anna Findling.I did get to meet her brother Christian Krebs,who had come to the USA with his family and settled in Lowel,Indiana.On my second visit to Germany, I stood beside her graveside.She had passed away on 3-11-65 in Wandersleben,Thueringen,Germany.She had lived out her last years with her youngest child and daughter Alma ne Kolewe Kuehn, my Godmother.

I consider Mrs. Pauline Fester as my third Grandmother.She is my personal adopted Oma Pauline Fester. She had the big book of pictures and stories. She also saved bread crusts in a long nylon or rayon sock for future use. Did she have a premonition that we would walk out of Poland? Oma Pauline kept an eye on us two boys left in her charge when Mother snuck out in the middle of the night in her attempt to reach West Germany. Oma Pauline also had connection with Canada and USA that I found out later.After getting out of Poland and living in Harste for a little while, she applied to join her relatives in North America.I was surprised that she left for her daughter,Hedwig ,grand-daughter and husband Paul Ruppel were living near by.Maybe, desire to be with her sister and nieces in USA was stronger.While in Harste she received care-packages from the Hinckley,MN. She received food and clothing. Among the clothing pieces were boy’s pants and shirts.Here in 1947, I was connected to the state of Minnesota that later became my Heimat for 46 years.Years later I was able to visit the congregation that send out these packages and reported that the pants fit and kept me warm.I was able to visit and talk to Oma Pauline’s nieces about her and what I remembered.

Maybe not having any grandparents around to spoil me during my early years,I feel the need to be around my grandkids as much and as often as possible.For better or for worse,another 14 years to go if I live as long as my Dad who reached 88years.Since the oldest grandchild is 10years old the chance to hold a great-grandchild may not be in the future for me.I just have to adopt my brother Diethard's great grandkids who live in Florida...he can spare some.Does anybody know if there is a ceremony for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment